Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Had Another Birthday

Well yesterday was my 72nd birthday. I had a wonderful day and enjoyed best wishes from many friends and family. I am still very amazed that I have lived this long and I am looking forward to many more years.

It really was quite an achievement in that my mom was told that I would be very lucky to live to the age of about 35 years as I had very bad asthma as a child. Two different times my heart stopped when I was in the hospital and had to have it started again while I was there. In those days they didn’t have those paddles that they shocked you back to life again, they had to take a long needle and inject adrenaline into your heart through my chest cavity. But thankfully, asthma has pretty much left me as I got older and other than a small spell when I eat something I know I am allergic too.

Anyway my life now is much better after WLS even though it was just 2 yeas ago before the surgery. I can eat most anything I want but still not much more than about a cup of solid food, and I am full. But I could eat that amount several times a day and of course I would gain weight again. So I still must be very careful not let my addiction to food overcome me and I know it has the ability to do that if I give it a chance and don’t weigh and measure everything I put in my mouth.

Yesterday my mom, who is 95 took me to dinner. Because it was Veterans’ Day many of the restaurants were very full. I did not want to spend a lot of time waiting for a table, and my mom has a lot of problems with her legs and hips so I did not want her to have to spend a lot of time getting something to eat. So we went to an Asian buffet here in my town that is quite large and can serve many people very quickly. Well that was a mistake. I was told never to try something in a place like a restaurant that you have not eaten before. Well I did not follow that advice and had some things that I had not had before and I got very sick. I thought I was going to through up but did not want to do it in the bathroom at the restaurant so I was just sick and it seemed like hours before everyone else to finish eating and go home. We did finally go home and I was able to start feeling better.


But all and all, I had a good day and I am looking forward to many more years now that I have a body that can do just about anything I really want to do. I am going to be getting ready to do a lot of remodeling of our home just after the holidays and really looking forward to it as I know now I can do what just two years ago without the WLS would have been impossible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment