Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012 First After WLS


Well yesterday I had my first major holiday after my weight loss surgery which was on 5/9/2012. I have lost 115 pounds from that day and I continue to lose and have 20 something pounds to go. I want to stop losing and will adjust my diet when my BMI reaches the normal area. I want to lose a few under that amount because as most people have a small bounce back I want to have some room to adjust. I want to be at what is considered normal BMI so that if anyone thinks I am fat or over weight I can shove it up their nose. 

Anyway we had most of the family here and Jackie did her normal great job of getting a great meal on the table. The girls helped with the clean up and that was great because both Jackie and I were very tired by the end of the day which stated at 4 AM for me. I think everyone had a good time, at least I hope so. We will probably be doing the same thing at Christmas.


I am going to document with photos what I was able to have and actually eat at the meal. Now I do not want to sound to discouraging or anything but I want to be honest and tell anyone who is thinking about having this surgery to consider the pictures and think about would you really want to have something like this at every holiday for the rest of your life? 


Here is a photo of the amount of turkey I could have on a paper plate on my scale. Note it is exactly 2.5 ounces.




The next picture is of my complete meal I planned on eating on the same paper plate on the scale. Note that it is 7.9 ounces.





The next picture is just the paper plate on a regular plate to give you an idea as to what it looks like in relation to size. Most people at our meal had the normal size plate filled and before WLS I would  have been one of them. And I would have had seconds and then a late night snack. I was not able to eat even half of what was on the plate. I ate the meat and just a taste of the cranberries, and mashed potatoes and one olive and I was so full I was near sick. For the rest of the night all I had was a couple of more olives, which I really should not have had but they were out on the table and I grabbed a couple. 




The last photo is kind of a joke, but this is what my big piece of pumpkin pie looked like with whipped cream on it. It was really just one small bite but that is it.




Ask yourself do you want to live like this for the rest of your life? In my case I am satisfied and really can live like this for the rest of my life, but if I were younger with more social functions to look forward to, I would still try every other method to lose weight. 


We had a good time and I enjoyed other things than the gluttonous food fest I used to partake in. I am still very happy about having WLS.


No comments:

Post a Comment